 Trains / 28207
28206  |  28208
Subject:
Comments about James Mathis' Factory Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.ldd
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 17:55:54 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi wrote:

   It would be great if the models were built and commented on. [...]

Chris

Hey,

Sorry that it took this long to answer. Here is my personal opinion about
Factory concept and three James Mathis’ sets I bought from Lego Factory. These
comments are free to use and fill.

First about Factory Set Concept
I think that the Factory concept is a very nice idea, but there is something
that would make it better.

Ideas to improve Factory concept:
- More variation in parts to build
- Printed instructions with a set would be a HUGE improvement
- Boxes like in official sets (Current box of factory sets is flimsy, cover
picture in A4 paper is low quality and because of bad design of the bottom of
the box you can’t keep small loose parts in it while you are building set.)
- To make software easier to use and use without internet connection should be
possible.

And now to the sets.

Set 1: Pullman Car, Lego Factory Set by James Mathis

About the set:
- Beautiful design, especially I like innovative doors and yellow panels
- All and all it is quite sturdy
- I don’t regret that I bought this set

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2167849>

Compatibility:
- Magnets and buffers are in correct height
- No problems to use in 9V tracks and points

From my set missed following parts:
- 1 x 4070 Black Brick 1 x 1 with Headlight
- 1 x 2436 Black Bracket 1 x 2 - 1 x 4
- 1 x 3794 Dark Gray Plate 1 x 2 with 1 Stud

Extra parts / I didn’t found any use:
- 2 x 3005 Brown Brick 1 x 1
- 1 x 3004 Brown Brick 1 x 2

Parts, which I changed to make the set sturdier or better looking:
- 2 x 3665 Red Slope Brick 2 x 1 Inverted (I changed to white ones to get sink
in correct color)
- 32 x 3023 Yellow Plate 1 x 2 (I changed to 8 x 3460 Yellow Plate 1 x 8, to get
set sturdier)

Set 2: DB103, Lego Factory Set by James Mathis

About the set:
- A very nice set especially I like SNOT-technique front section, roof details,
the side view of the set and beams that make hull sturdier
- Personally I prefer complete sets, this one needs 9V train motor to complete
- Windscreens were clear in picture but came with “smoke flavour”
- I don’t regret that I bought this

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2167851>

Compatibility:
- Magnets and buffers are in correct height
- No problems to use in 9V tracks and points

From my set missed following parts:
- 4 x 4274 Gray Technic Pin 1/2

Parts, which I added or changed to make the set correct, sturdier or better
looking:
- 2 x 3020 any colour Plate 2 x 4 (to the front section of floor)
- 2 x 4176 Smoke Windscreen 2 x 6 x 2 (I changed to clear ones, I hate smoke
parts)
- 4 x 3794 Red Plate 1 x 2 with 1 Stud (instead four red 1 x 2 plates. Without
these below door windows the set is impossible to build) Correct attachment:

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2167850>

Extra parts / I didn’t found any use:
- 1 x 4862 Clear Glass for Window 1 x 2 x 2 Plane

You need following extra parts to make this set to complete push-along engine (I
am not absolutely sure if this list is correct):
- 1 x 4092 Black Train Bogie Plate
- 2 x 3626a Black Minifig Head with Solid Stud
- 9 x 3710 Black Plate 1 x 4
- 1 x 3794 Black Plate 1 x 2 with 1 Stud
- 3 x 3666 Black Plate 1 x 6
- 2 x 2878c01 Black Train Wheel Holder 9V with Wheels (Complete)
- 2 x 3795 Black Plate 2 x 6
- 2 x 3020 Black Plate 2 x 4
- 1 x 3021 Black Plate 2 x 3
- 1 x 3832 Dark Gray Plate 2 x 10
- 4 x 3023 Black Plate 1 x 2

Set 3: Pre-War Euro Diesel, Lego Factory Set by James Mathis

About the set:
- For me this one is the best set of these three
- I highly recommend to buy this set!
- James has made a very big effort to duplicate Red Train Front (part 2924) from
sets 4551 and 4563 by SNOT-techinique
- Especially I like the side view of the set, roof section, SNOT-technique front
section and a beautiful motor inside

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2167844>

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2167845>

Compatibility:
- Magnets and buffers are in correct height
- No problems to use in 9V tracks and points

Extra parts / I didn’t found any use:
1 x 50746 Red Slope Brick 33 1 x 1 x 2/3
1 x 50746 Dark Gray Slope Brick 33 1 x 1 x 2/3

Parts, which I added or changed to make the set sturdier or correct:
- 4 x 3666 Red Plate 1 x 6 (building fault, should be 4 x 3710 Red Plate 1 x 4
and 4 x 3024 Red Plate 1 x 1)
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2167848>
- 4 x 3005 Red Brick 1 x 1 (I changed to 4 x 6541 Technic Brick 1 x 1 with Hole
+ 4 x 4274 Gray Technic Pin ½, to get front section much sturdier)
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2167846>
- I also added long plates to the bottom of the roof section to make it sturdier
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2167847>

-VILLE