 Trains / 28148
    Re: Has Babylon Fallen? —Chris Phillips
   (...) The (URL) reed switch sensors> are a bit tricky. There's not much room to work with, so you've gotta use pretty small switches. And they are very easy to break, basically being tiny glass tubes. (About half of my sensors no longer work.) For (...) (18 years ago, 23-Nov-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Has Babylon Fallen? —Christopher Masi
     (...) Yeah, I almost took you up on the offer. When I designed a trolley line, I thought wouldn't it be cool if the trolley crosses the main line I realize that I'd need reed switches. Then I realized that even at your cost I need $80 worth of (...) (18 years ago, 23-Nov-06, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Has Babylon Fallen? —Chris Phillips
     (...) Hmm, we should probably check my math. I think at the time I was having trouble finding inexpensive 3-foot electrical cables to chop in half, but I think $80 would pay for materials for more sensors than I usually bring to a train show. (...) (18 years ago, 23-Nov-06, to lugnet.trains)

        Reed Switches was Re: Has Babylon Fallen? —Lawrence Livesey
   (...) Miniatronics makes nice (URL) switches> that seems to work well. (...) Yes, you have to grab the lead in wire up close to the glass envelope with a pair of needle nose pliers, and, while holding the pliers you bend the wire. (...) Those are (...) (18 years ago, 27-Nov-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Reed Switches was Re: Has Babylon Fallen? —Chris Phillips
   (...) Good link! (...) I don't bend the leads on the reed switches at all. I use very small reeds, maybe 1 cm in length, solder directly to the straight leads, and then carefully trim them shorter. (Trimming is optional.) The switch is then (...) (18 years ago, 27-Nov-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)