 Trains / 27940
Re: NSW Freight National 82 Class
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2006 22:52:29 GMT

Eli Donati wrote:
Hi

It been about 3 maybe 4 years since my last written message on Lugnet. During
that time around late 2004. I started to use MLCAD to see if fit possible to
design & build a scaled down model of a real life prototype locomotive.  I went
for a design that was:

1. A local locomotive (NSW, Australia) both in terms of service
    & manufacture.
2. Easy to make in terms of slopes, no geometrically hard shape.
3. Surface finish to be SNOT.
4. Look similar to the Prototype.
5. Be able to move like the Prototype.
6. Easy to move in size & to dismantle.
7. To be made of readly accessable parts.

I settled of the than Freight Corp company 82 Class Loco

Of these points all but 7. was able to be completed. Elements had to be modified
to fit. E.g. The bogie whell assembly, the 2x2 round plate that holds the wheel
is milled to allow it to fit in the Brick arch, that traps the 2x2 round plate
there by making a crued Bearing. All up there are about 50 elements that need to
be modified. Also the angle milling of the side panel element windows in the
cabin.

I was not interested in how long it took to make just that the main components
looked good & would go together fine. This worked well & I was happy to the
model to collect dust for a couple of months.  The major building of the unit
took place of the Hoilday period of 2004/2005 this being the cabins, dogbone
section, bogies & deck.  With the fuel tank being completed in late 2005/2006.
The engine to go inside the dog bone section was complete about 2 months ago.
The decals & stickers were fitted in the last two weeks.  A Plinth will be buid
to house the unit in the future.

Please view the following link

After seeing the other pictures, the only word I can think of is "WOW" :)

That's very impressive model, especially at that size. The only thing
I'm not sure on is the undercarriage but the rest is spot on.

I'm jealous now :|

--
Dean Earley, Dee (dean@earlsoft.co.uk)

irc:    irc://irc.blitzed.org/