 Trains / 27503
Re: LEGO Factory Commuter Train-- The Mariner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 00:56:59 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote:
   A lot of thanks to go around: - Thanks to the LEGO Digital Designer and LEGO Factory teams for the power to design sets - Thanks to the amazing folks who have LDD and LDraw tools communicating with each other

Here is my first attempt. I started with a design from a while back which I called the Amtrak Exodus. I used MLCad to create a modified version of the Exodus-- being mindful of the parts available in the LDD LEGO Train Factory. I call the LEGO Factory version the Mariner. A locomotive (476pcs, US$51.15) and a passenger car (517pcs, $55.69) are listed separately.

Great models James and I agree with your thanks to all involved with LDD.

I had both MLCad and LDD v1.6 open at the same time to flip back and forth to review the parts available. I’d then load up the MLCad model into LDD and see which parts I had used in error against the Train Factory assortment.

I think I need to start doing this for 2 reasons. First the auto generated instructions from LDD just arn’t good unless you build from the bottom up and never change the model (yeah right). Second, after about 1000 parts my system starts to complain loudly using LDD. Maybe just using it to import will work better.

I’m still not sure I understand how to upload the model for sale to the LEGO Factory website. I see that other models for sale have a nickname, age, description, etc, but I haven’t found any place in which to add this information. Maybe that comes later upon approval of the model by the LEGO Factory review team?

From all I can tell you have done everything perfectly. The nickname and age come from your LEGO Club account settings. You can add the Description when you add the model to your gallery.

Also, upon upload of both the passenger car and the locomotive at approximately the same time-- the passenger car first, followed by the locomotive just a few minutes later-- the passenger car is listed as “available”, but the locomotive is listed as “not available”. Maybe I still have some pieces in the locomotive that are not supported by the Train Factory part assortment? I did re-check the parts used, but maybe I still am missing something...

Well both appear available now so it may have just been a temporary hic-up in the system.

Thanks for looking it up, and for any comments regarding ensuring the model is available for purchase, and adding the additional biography information.

You should be able to go to you Gallery and “Edit” the model assuming you are signed in. This will put it back in the moderation queue but that doesn’t usually take to long.

Again great model. The models in general on LF have been getting better and better. The only issue is finding the great models so you can buy them. The search facilities on LDD are very lacking. This is one reason why I am doing what I am doing with the contest. It gives folks a single source for great LDD models.

One of the best LDD train models yet James!

-Eric

later,

James Mathis