 Trains / 26032
26031  |  26033
Subject:
Pictures of Trial of TCLTC Sleeper Scheme with Wider Track Bed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build
Date:
Sat, 15 Oct 2005 20:28:05 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Bellis wrote:
In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
A while ago, some were asking for details as to how we "detailed" our
tracks, especially the curves and points.  I had a lot of free time this
weekend, and I decided to get some pics taken (unfortunately, all of our
points are still packed at the clubhouse and so I didn't have one around to
shoot)

Anyway, <http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=7051 these pics>
should give you a good idea how Ross did it.  The secret is in making the
ballast the same color as the dark gray LEGO ties (sleepers), so that it all
"blends in" and you can't tell the difference between the two.  I saw how
the GMLTC used "speckled" ballast, but the relative size of each "speckle"
(a 1x1 plate) was too large IMO to create a truly "random feel" to the
ballast and so I stuck with a uniform color, and added the black tiles to
create more of a realistic look for the track.

The other secret is that every other 1x4 black tile "floats" on one end,
resting on the edge of a tie, and covering nicely the gap underneath it.
Again, it is hard to explain, but the pics pretty much speak for themselves.

Once I retrieve a point, I'll shoot some pics-- even {I} haven't examined
them all that closely, as Ross handled that job, too. ({I} did all of the
straights:-))

HTH,

[JOHN]

I've fed these ideas into my melting pot of track bed plans.

I'm building 12-14 wide trackbeds for a new modular scenic layout.  I began
with the packs of grey and dark grey plates, one pack doing either one
straight plus one curve or one switch point.  Seeing the tile sleepers
confirmed my suspicions that more detail was needed.  However I initially
thought that black sleepers on their own would be just like 16.5mm gauge
track without the ballast, so I needed to work on that in order to show that
the sleeper scheme was feasible for my new layout.

I've been developing different shades of track bed and experimenting with
different sleeper colours: grey = concrete, dark grey = steel, black = wood.

In the first experiment I built 2-straight samples showing a range of grey
shades with each colour of sleepers.  From these I think the black tile
sleepers go best with most shades of track bed, grey tile sleepers are good
when the track bed is dark grey through to black, though solid black track
bed is rarely found on the main line where concrete sleepers would most
likely be on UK railways.  Dark grey sleepers are OK with light grey ballast
but tend to lose contrast more easily as the shade darkens.  So 'black
sleepers are most versatile' is the conclusion of the sleeper colour
experiment.

The second experiment was to try the sleeper shades with some tan in the mix.
I've noticed that many UK track beds are not pure shades of grey, yet tan is
not too rich a colour to introduce.  I built 2-straight samples with each
sleeper colour and the same range of shades but with 25% tan 1x1s (one every
4L along the track, adjacent rows offset by 2L).  This gave a similar result
to the first experiment but also showed that 12.5% is probably enough tan.

The third experiment was to make a more extensive set of samples with black
sleepers, to check that shades from light grey through dark grey to black
work well.

I began introducing the darker shades into the middle of the track, since oil
and ash (from steam engines) is dropped in the middle and the darker shades
tend to spread out from there.  This trend was gleaned from a study of many
photos in a UK railway magazine.  In my samples, the darker shades spread out
till the 4ft is all dark grey and the 6ft is still light grey.  This
continues to the ends of the sleepers and then black is introduced into the
middle.  There is always a dark grey plate between each black plate and each
light grey plate so that the change of shade is not too sudden.

I've built 22 1-straight pieces of different shades from light grey to black,
with room for a few more as I missed out 3/4 black a couple of times.  The
idea is that clean, freshly laid ballast would be light grey all over but a
yard with lots of ash would be black all over.

The next stage will be to count the parts used for each 1-straight single
shade sample in order to work out what I need to buy to build the layout with
560 straights and 200 curves!

Mark

A couple of pictures of my evaluation of a wider TCLTC-style scheme, prior to my
experiments with sleeper colours and mosaic shading:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mbellis/Trains/Ballasting-Track/ballasted_track_14w_prototype_top.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mbellis/Trains/Ballasting-Track/ballasted_track_14w_prototype_underside.jpg

I used this piece to test stuff like clearances for BBB wheeled locos,
feasibility of a wider track bed, basic shades of grey, interlocking of plates
on the curve and feasibility of parts procurement, all of which proved
successful.

One thing I would like to work out is how to ballast between the tiles in the
middle of the curve.  We don't yet have log plates, which could otherwise do the
2 studs of widest radius between the rails.

Has anyone else developed this scheme any further?

Mark