 Trains / 25363
Re: TCLTC Style Track Details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 23:38:25 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Mathew Clayson wrote:

   I’ve been playing with as well, but I use a slightly differnt meathode for the curves. I’ll have to check out what you’ve done when I get home, thanks for posting. I agree about the speckling, although I’m using gray and very light grey combined with the dark gray, no black or white. But using only dark gray only was very tempting.

I agree that black and white have no place in speckling. If one is to only speckle regular LEGO track, then using gray and light gray is a good solution IMO. I wanted to alter the tie frequency of the LEGO track, and so that is why I chose to go with dark gray only. Sounds too monochromatic, but in reality, slight shadowing of the plates adds just enough variation to my eye (see below)

I love that section between the tracks:-d

JOHN

Have you tried adding tan in places where you use more light grey than dark grey? See next to the red & yellow loco here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1206253

Tan has a similar brightness to light grey, so it can break up the monotony of the colour. My research into real British track beds suggests that they have tan in the ballast mix. I am thinking of using up to 25% tan in places.

I intend to go from full light grey (new track bed) to dark grey with black between the rails (for yards where oil or ash are dropped by locos), using tan in places to break up the colour. I don’t expect to have any pure dark grey, since that would make the sleepers disappear, though I might if I use your black tile sleeper method.

Using lots of 1x1 plates from tiger mosaics I will speckle the light grey and dark grey in varying amounts to change the overall brightness, putting more dark grey near signals and in stations, where locos have to stand. Typically the darker colours spread out from the middle, so from full light grey, put two 1x1s of dark grey in the middle, followed by a 2x2 of dark grey, and so on. Once it’s predominantly dark grey, introduce black in the same way till it’s all black between the rails.

In reality the track bed colour changes quite often, since track repairs and mods are quite often done on very short stretches of line, such as installing a switch for a new siding. In that case just the switch and a rail either side of it on the main line would have newer ballast, with the colour continuing along the siding, becoming increasingly dark where vehicles stand in the siding.

I’ll look into the increased sleeper frequency, though I think there is a little more space between sleepers than the width of the sleepers themselves - if a sleeper is 1ft wide then the gaps between them vary between 1 and 2ft. This will also allow for some spacing variations on curves and switches, as is usual on O-gauge layouts. Perhaps it is logical that there should be more sleepers on curves than straights, since that is where the dynamic load is greatest. I might use some jumpers between existing 2-wide sleepers on the straights to space the black tile sleepers out a bit, though I expect an uneven result so it will depend whether I can make it look real enough.

I’m also doing the ballast 12-wide, using packs of light grey and dark rey plates. A straight uses the two 6x8s and two 4x12s and a curve uses two of each 2x4, 2x8, 4x6, 2x3 and either 4x4 or 4x9 wing plates. Other smaller plates are put on top of these. Time for me to take some pics!

Mark