 Trains / 25486
Re: New MOC: British Class 37 diesel loco with articulated bogies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Mon, 4 Jul 2005 14:20:27 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote:
   --SNIP--
   With the windscreens, did you mean that the side windows are too short or the front and rear windows too narrow? Cab windows are always the hardest part to model.

I meant the side windows are too short. The front/rear look very nice.

   I needed a piece for the front and rear windscreens that would give the division into three parts, and on the real thing the pillars at the sides are thicker than those between the panes, so after much experimentation with SNOT clear bricks, that meant the handrail piece http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6583 with glass behind was a feasible way to go.

So that’s how you did it. Nice technique.

   The pillars had to match the profile of the windscreens, so the side windows are a bit squashed, but could have one plate thickness of length added if I cut up some black hinge tops to make thinner plates for the pillars. I’m trying to avoid cutting up too many pieces :-)

I think you could move the front window forward one brick (apply to rear in reverse) and extend the side windows by two plates. That would mean no cutting and I think would look more prototypical.

Unfortunately, the front and rear windows are in the right place (without quarter-stud offset bricks being available), and moving them would make the upper body too long for the scale! This is the compromise of detail with measurements of less than 1 stud length. I tend to get the main dimensions right and then fill in as much detail as will fit. Using cut-up black hinge pieces like these: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6134 would permit an extra 1x1 clear plate to go where the black one is, with the halved hinge plate over it, without protruding beyond the main windscreen.

You might have noticed that I’ve already modified some pieces for the bogies: halving a technic half bush to make quater bushes: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4265c . These raise the dark grey axles by 1/4 stud so that the axle clears the rails (when crossing the points) and the stud remains clear of the body. Quarter bushes are very useful and I’ve made quite a few, by running them on a fast motor using a sacrificial axle that was twisted, with a hacksaw and a file doing the work.

   Once I get this scheme to work, I’ll do something similar on the Class 44 Peak, since I cheated on that one and used two 2x4 car windscreens. I’m not sure yet though, as the handrail piece isn’t available in green.

Green looks dark grey after enough time on the rails anyway ;-) ... Tim

The Peak is rather greener than Brunswick Green anyway, since the green dragon sets provided most of the parts: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1097384 So perhaps the greying would send it nearer to Brunswick Green! I’m not into painting Lego bricks for weathering though - it’s messy and reduces their reusability.

Mark