 Trains / 25484
Re: New MOC: British Class 37 diesel loco with articulated bogies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sun, 3 Jul 2005 16:45:34 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Mark Bellis wrote:
   Here’s my latest 8mm scale train MOC, a British Class 37 diesel loco in railfreight grey livery with red stripe, as carried by 37674 and others in 1988. http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mbellis/Trains/Diesel/Class-37/37_no1_end_low.jpg The model has opening doors and removable roof sections, for closing the doors and putting a driver in the cab. It shows what can be done with good old dark grey pieces.

The model has articulated bogies, so this time I took a picture of those so you can all have a go at making your own: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mbellis/Trains/Diesel/Class-37/37_artic_bogie.jpg A wire connects to the motor just behind the coupling plates so that the two motorised bogies are electrically connected, for better pickup and load sharing. The trailing wheels pivot up and down as well as side to side, allowing the loco to cope with changes of track slope.

Folder when moderated: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=135177

PLMKWYT

Mark

Hi Mark,

I like your articulation trick and really like some of the side greebling. The drivers cab windscreen seems a little short to me though. It looks like the whole thing should extend one more stud towards the front (or rear) of the train to match the real thing.

Overall though a great model and its nice to see work in such a unique scale. Hope to see them in ‘the brick’ in Manchester later this year.

Tim

With the windscreens, did you mean that the side windows are too short or the front and rear windows too narrow? Cab windows are always the hardest part to model.

I needed a piece for the front and rear windscreens that would give the division into three parts, and on the real thing the pillars at the sides are thicker than those between the panes, so after much experimentation with SNOT clear bricks, that meant the handrail piece http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6583 with glass behind was a feasible way to go.

The pillars had to match the profile of the windscreens, so the side windows are a bit squashed, but could have one plate thickness of length added if I cut up some black hinge tops to make thinner plates for the pillars. I’m trying to avoid cutting up too many pieces :-)

Once I get this scheme to work, I’ll do something similar on the Class 44 Peak, since I cheated on that one and used two 2x4 car windscreens. I’m not sure yet though, as the handrail piece isn’t available in green.

We’ll be exhibiting the large layout in Loughborough on 24th-25th September, a week before the Manchester show, but this engine might make its debut even earlier, on our small layout at the Brickish Association event at Shrewsbury castle on 31st July.

Mark