 Trains / 25209
25208  |  25210
Subject:
push trains (was Re: 12V to 9V - why the switch)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 13:34:10 GMT

I think the loss of cheap push-along and battery starter sets may have damaged
take-up of Lego trains in the long term though.
I think that producing a line of unpowered trains would be a GREAT move for
TLC.

Basicly, sell train sets that are pretty much the same as they are now but
without the motor/speed regulator/etc.
Include a circle or oval of track plus a locomotive and cars. Perhaps sell
accessory cars too if the market is there for it.
Include instructions in the set showing how to add a train motor.

Then, sell another set (also through retail) that would basicly contain a
4548 speed regulator and a 5300 electric motor in the one box (perhaps with
something like the train light brick in there too)

Such a set would be great since firstly it would provide a cheaper way to
get into trains, with the "electrification" set being available to buy
later. Plus it would also be more attractive to people who already have the
electric parts (like myself, I dont want or need another speed regulator or
train motor) as a source of "train" bits like windows, nose pieces, wheels,
wagon bases, couplings, track and so on.