 Trains / 25176
Re: 12V to 9V - why the switch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 13:24:09 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Bryan Kinkel wrote:
Can someone explain why LEGO made the switch from 12V to 9V ?

There appears to be some discussion about the switch in these catalogs:

1991 Netherlands
http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1991/c91nl/c91nl-30.html

1991 German
http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1991/c91de/c91de-30.html

1991 Europe
http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1991/c91eu/c91eu-15.html

Was there any reaction in the LEGO community when this switch happened?

-- Bryan

Was there a Lego community in 1991?

I can see a lot of advantages in the change:

1. Better pick-up of power through the wheels on the inner edge of the track.
Sprung contacts like on 12V trains are prone to wear and spark damage.

2. One-piece track sections are cheaper to produce, and easier to stock and sell
than multi-piece track with optional extra power rails.

3. Unifying all Lego power systems (4.5V, 9V, 12V) to run at one voltage.

4. Better free-rolling wheels (this could have happened at any time, but the
metal caps to the rails do help).

I think it was all of these together that culminated in a completely fresh start
for trains.

I think the loss of cheap push-along and battery starter sets may have damaged
take-up of Lego trains in the long term though.

Jason Railton