 Trains / 24943
Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 02:41:57 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.announce.iltco, Mike Walsh wrote:

the new 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Cair.

   OK, this is only marginally LEGO, but... why the shared bogie? As a
non-train type, I've certainly seen these on the tracks, but I'm not sure I
understand why it's prefered over seperate cars. Is it just cheaper to produce
two cars and three bogies over two cars and four bogies?

Marginally, yes.

But much more important is the significant reduction in tare(1) weight, and
the reduction in length.

It has always been my understanding that the FIRST reason for shared trucks is
to reduce Rolling Resistance.  Fewer wheels means less rolling resistance.  But,
I could be wrong on this.

.