 Trains / 24932
Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 00:47:56 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.announce.iltco, Mike Walsh wrote:

the new 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Cair.

   OK, this is only marginally LEGO, but... why the shared bogie? As a non-train
type, I've certainly seen these on the tracks, but I'm not sure I understand why
it's prefered over seperate cars. Is it just cheaper to produce two cars and
three bogies over two cars and four bogies?

Marginally, yes.

But much more important is the significant reduction in tare(1) weight, and the
reduction in length. Since TOFC/COFC(2) is operated at high speeds, in long
trains, less tare means more payload per horsepower used, and less length per
car means more cars in the train before you exceed the capacity of sidings
system wide. Building new sidings or lengthening existing ones is VERY expensive

1 - the weight of everything BUT the load
2 - Trailer on Flat Car/Container on Flat Car