 Trains / 24930
Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 23:50:52 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:

Er, perhaps that statement could be qualified a little.  Maybe North American
prototypes resonate with the American audiences that you tend to find attending
American train shows.  I'm not sure you can be so definite about the entire rest
of the planet.

How big are train shows elsewhere though?

This one looks pretty big http://news.lugnet.com/loc/au/?n=13277 (I must try to
check it out one year). And there are many smaller shows across Australia each
year.

100K is not too shabby at all. Bigger than most shows we do in the US actually.

Yeah, I cringe a little at the thought of doing something for a show that
size...

How big is the market elsewhere?

Well, that's another good question. From the feedback we received at our first
small show, I'd say "bigger than we thought", but couldn't put a number on it. I
feel sure it could be serviced much better by LEGO Australia though, for example
the 4512 cargo train has been available here for a couple of years, but never
gone on clearance. Many "mundanes" baulk at the $275 price tag.

Question: My read of AU prototype stuff (from the smattering I've seen mostly
thanks to the good offices of AU AFOLS sharing their knowledge) is that while
it's not precisely US in appearance, it looks  rather closer the US practice
than it does to say, German... mostly 4 axle freight cars rather than 2 axle,
diesels that aren't necessarily cowled but rather have hoods and walkways, etc
etc.

Is that a valid read?

Yep, pretty much. And it would be nice to have a specifically AU set (maybe Ghan
or Southern Aurora), but I'm not sure it would be a hit anyway. I was actually a
little disappointed that even though I had all my AU prototype MOCs at the last
show (N, P, A class, N-set, W-tram, breakdown crane) my most popular MOC was the
Shay #2, my only non-AU prototype MOC. Only a little disappointed though ;)

ROSCO