 Trains / 24894
Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 15:25:23 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:

   I’ll give you the buffers, but I don’t see that the wheelsets are particularly European, in what way do you mean?

American trucks don’t have wheel level individual springs. The individual wheels are typically unsprung, and ride in a truck frame that has springs either at the center beam (for freight) or at multiple places in a larger truck frame (for passenger). SOMETIMES there will be a spring between the journal box/bearing and the frame, but (almost(1)?) never one on each side the way LEGO molded it.

J2, among others, has made models of american (bettendorf or AAR) trucks by taking the wheels out of the wheelholders and building something else up.

That LEGO wheel is probably more representative of a 19th century european 4 wheel car’s wheel arrangement than anything else.

1 - never say never, there’s always a prototype somewhere. But I speak of common practice.

Yes, I’ll agree that the US doesn’t really do four wheel vehicles However I have never really thought of the Lego wheelsets as being European as they have coil springs when the style of suspension with W irons represented had/have leaf springs More modern four wheel veicles that have coil springing don’t have the W irons and bogie vehicles with coil sprung primary supension have never had. I suppose that one of the GWR wagon bogie designs might look a bit like a pair of the Lego wheelsets but not much and it s getting pretty obscure Thus I don’t think the Lego wheelsets are Euro either!

Tim