 Trains / 24850
Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2005 15:58:00 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Jeff Stembel wrote:
   In lugnet.announce.iltco, Mike Walsh wrote:
   LEGO has provided ILTCO with early pictures and set information for the new 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Cair. Vist http://www.iltco.org for more details and pictures.

Mike

PS: LEGOFan is also previewing this set at: http://www.legofan.org

FUT: lugnet.trains

I’m pretty disappointed with those containers. I’d have expected them to use the recessed doors they’ve used in the past. I do like that the cars are built up, though, rather than single pieces.

Jeff

I wouldn’t be buying this set anyway, but I’m really getting tired of TLC’s excuses to AFOLs. “New molds cost too much” was the old refrain, but now it’s “an inability to produce new colors of those parts in our current financial state”.

Mark, please please don’t take my desire to break down the wall and share information with the community as “excuses” or dishonesty.

   Where does TLC come up with the money to mold new pieces like this, this, and this? And let’s not even talk about the money spent to introduce a whole new set of colors.

Things aren’t as simple as that. New parts, more than ever before, are designed in a wholistic mindset. Sure, there are sometimes parts designed that are specifically for a certain product line, and that line alone. But new parts have to pass through a series of checks that haven’t existed until recently. This helps to ensure that even parts like you point out could, at least in theory be used in multiple ways, and fit into the larger system overall.

As you can imagine, with the size of the product design staff, we’re not simply one big team all working on one product line at a time. The design staff is quite large and works on multiple projects at once. Each is charged with a differing priority, budget, and thus new part count. It simplifies the discussion too much to say that because one line gets new parts, another line should also get an equal number of new parts.

When you’re looking at production runs of 10,000 on S@H exclusive sets, there’s not as much room or budget to implement new molds as there is on a production run of 1 million+ sets.

I’m sorry you see the S@H exclusives as us treating the AFOLs poorly. We’ve never intended that to be reason to introduce these exclusives. Quite the opposite.

One of the things that made working with Brad so enjoyable was his amazing focus on trying to prove to the company that new parts aren’t necessarily needed in order to create cool new sets. The Santa Fe, as I recall him talking about it, was one of the sets he was most proud of, for exactly this reason.

In the 5 years he was at the company, he helped to change the mindset about this, by continually showing what was possible with existing elements over and over. Personally, I think it worked wonders.

   It would be a lot more honest if they just said “Some of you suckers will buy anything, so why make the effort”.

Actually, that’d be a flat out lie. That’s not at all what we’ve said, thought, or tried.

We’re in an extremely tough financial spot right now. In 2003, we lost more money than many companies make in a year. We’re on the path to recovery, certainly, but mainly because we’re taking a hard look at when and where we need to be spending money. This container story is a great example of one of those times.

I have no problem with you questioning the decision. But with all due respect, I do take issue with you questioning my integrity.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison