 Trains / 24692
Re: Stupid question about modern passenger service in U.S.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:44:50 GMT

James Wilson wrote:
I figured I wouldn't get flamed too badly on the "friendliest place
on the Internet" -- what is the status of individual railroads'
passenger service in the U.S.??  I was under the impression that
Amtrak provided (almost?) all inter-city passenger service, until the
other night when I had to stop for a Kansas City Southern passenger
consist at a grade crossing.

Do individual railroads still provide passenger service?

Essentially no. There is some commuter rail service operated by metro
transit authorities (Boston is the example I'm most familiar with). There
are a variety of tourist railroads, but they mostly don't serve as general
transportation.

Frank