 Trains / 2438
Re: Ranting about Lego trains!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 23:36:15 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ben Fleskes writes:

<start of rant>

The organizers wonder why kids do not find the stuff interesting.  Well that's
easy.  Who wants to stare at a bunch of do not touch signs.  I want to put my
hands on things, play with it, have it capture my imagination.  LEGO does all
that.  What fun is a 'toy' Lionel train from the 50's?  Most of the owners of
such a train get nervous with you just looking at it.  Let alone playing with
it.  Or, heaven forbid, actually touching it.

LEGO trains are different, you can play, build, take apart or whatever you
imagine.  Any if they come apart, you simply put them back together again.
Which I usually don't because I'd rather build something else the next time.

<end or rant>

Of course, Ben, you realize you are preaching to the choir, so rant all you
want.

I am a Lego model railroader because of my 2 and 4 year old rail fans.  They
loved my N-scale layout but were frustrated because they could not participate
(I was frustrated because I thought they would).  With the Lego layout they
have a great time.  All the passenger cars have a either a removable roof or
one that opens so they can put minifigs in or out.  This week my 2 year old and
I have been making trucks to service our railroad.  Sometimes I come home to
find them "modified" but, as you say Ben, so what.  You just put them back
together or make something else.  It is a great hobby to do with children (even
if they aren't 8 years old as recommended on the box).  They get a real kick
out of running the trains (with supervision).  Of couse, I didn't mention all
the fun challenges for the grown-ups (save it for another thread).

- Jim