 Trains / 2434
Re: Great American Train Shows - Worth visit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 17:15:22 GMT

Chances are you'll not see any LEGO trains.  Nor will any of the vendors have
anything related to LEGO.  Most wouldn't even know LEGO makes trains.  Let
alone having done so for 30+ years.

The GATS organizers I've spoken to hadn't seen anything like what PNLTC does
until we started doing it.  Perhaps in another 5 years, with LEGO train clubs
forming around the country that will be different.  Every train should should
have atleast one LEGO train layout.

<start of rant>

The organizers wonder why kids do not find the stuff interesting.  Well that's
easy.  Who wants to stare at a bunch of do not touch signs.  I want to put my
hands on things, play with it, have it capture my imagination.  LEGO does all
that.  What fun is a 'toy' Lionel train from the 50's?  Most of the owners of
such a train get nervous with you just looking at it.  Let alone playing with
it.  Or, heaven forbid, actually touching it.

LEGO trains are different, you can play, build, take apart or whatever you
imagine.  Any if they come apart, you simply put them back together again.
Which I usually don't because I'd rather build something else the next time.

<end or rant>

In summary, you'll likely see some very nice HO, O, N scale layouts at the
GATS show.  The vendors are personable.  If you expect to see some LEGO,
you'll likely be dissappointed.

Ben Fleskes
PNLTC

I want to go, but my wife and I already have a packed weekend and I'm mostly
interested only in Lego trains. Given that, is it worth a quick visit? What
are the chances of any vendors there having older Lego trains at good
prices??

Bryan Kinkel