 Trains / 24318
Re: Train Bases
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 23:53:36 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Samarth Moray wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I believe some builders use them embedded

I can't see how... I was under the impression that it would be easier to simply
use stacked plates instead. Embedding a train base would solve a lot of problems
with the motor connection issues, since the holes for mating would already be
there, but you'd have to basically surround the base with 1 x x plates on either
sides. These wouldn't be practical if you were going to have, say a catwalk on
the side. Unless of course, you'd be going for a design that exceeded the length
of the base itself, where you could connect the surrounding 1 x x plates with
bigger plates on the sides. Which would normally be the case, IMO. This again is
assuming youre going for a 2/3 base height in the first place....

Legoswami Samarth

You have to be careful using the train base holes with vehicles longer than one
base, since the bogie centres distance becomes so large that a motor (4x6 plate
size) cannot turn far enough inside the train base on curves, so the vehicle
derails.

I've used two train bases on each of my British Mk3 coaches, but got round the
problem by using the 2x2 plates with upward connector peg instead of bogie
plates.

I would also find that putting 2-high of 1-wide plates down the side of a train
base would be too weak, which is why most of my vehicles longer than a base are
composite - using 6-wide plates in the middle and 2-wide plates at the edges
overlapping.  Also, my engines have a wire from one bogie to the other,
requiring a 1x4 slot in the base at each end, which could not be done using a
train base.

The designers of big scale vehicles need to think outside the standard-base box!

Mark