 Trains / 24023
Re: combining LDCC and NQC style automation?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:07:19 GMT

OK, so I made a trolley go back and forth using NQC and my RCX. My

I'm not up on my trolly design.  Can you explain or show pictures of the "lights"
and "trolly poles"

http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/lego/trains/trolleys/new_red_trolley/new_power_for_my_trolley.htm

This picture has a good view of the headlight and the trolley poles.

If you'd rather do a little hardware work, than learn pbForth, I have a couple
suggestions.

1) You could use LEDs instead of regular lights.  An LED will only light, when the
power is going the correct direction.  So you could connect 1 LED to the front, and
it would only light when the trolly is going forward.  And reverse the wire on the
back LED, so it will only light when the trolly is going backward.

2) You can do the same with Diodes, and the regular lights.

3) For the poles, it should be possible to mechanically raise & lower them based on
the direction of the trolley.  For example, if you mount a wheel inside the trolly,
that rolls on the top of the train wheel, and is linked to the poles.  When the pole
is totally raised, the wheel will stop turning, and slide on the train wheel.  That
may not be the best idea, but it should work, and doesn't require a motor, or
anything else.

Just some thoughts
Steve