 Trains / 23868 (-10)
  Price of automation... (Was Re: Say What???)

In lugnet.trains, Bryan Kinkel wrote: <snip> (...) Why? A remote automated switch (assuming you mean one you can switch remotely) from LEGO would run about $35-$50 per point! It's so much cheaper to do it yourself using one of the half-dozen plans (...) (20 years ago, 16-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Some houses for a new GATS layout

Hi All, I was totally inspired by a street of houses that I saw displayed at BrickFest in DC last summer (04) and wanted to build some for myself. Of course I mentioned that I wanted to "copy" these to the original builder (I forgot his name, so (...) (20 years ago, 18-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.town)

  Re: Grade Crossing Signal Thingy...

(...) Try braking. This is from memory so might be all wet... If you just turn power off, the motor coasts to a stop. But supposedly you can send the motor a speed 0 command, I think, and the motor stops right then, frozen in place. It takes more (...) (20 years ago, 18-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Grade Crossing Signal Thingy...

(...) The way that my design ended up, that isn't an issue. The arm just goes up and down as the wheel/motor rotates. It doesn't go past horizontal or vertical positions (by luck, not design :^) ) (...) There's a weak spot in my signals above the (...) (20 years ago, 18-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Grade Crossing Signal Thingy...

(...) Easiest way is to have a stop of some kind at both extremeties of movement, and introduce some kind of slip into the drive mechanism, like rubber bands or a slip clutch (URL) each cycle runs the motor longer than it needs, and the clutch slips (...) (20 years ago, 17-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Pinguim: Some very interesting techniques

(...) I was looking at this gallery today too and was very impressed. Make yourself known! Tim (20 years ago, 17-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Grade Crossing Signal Thingy...

(...) One approach is to use a linkage mechanism in which the gate is driven by a link that no matter how the motor rotates, never takes the gate below horizontal or beyond directly vertical. That of course introduces other issues, such as knowing (...) (20 years ago, 17-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Grade Crossing Signal Thingy...

I have a couple of newbie questions about things like this. First, how do you protect the motor? In this particular design it looks like you could actually rotate the arm past vertical, which I guess isn't a problem until you hit the ground on the (...) (20 years ago, 17-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Worlds Greatest Hobby Show St. Louis, MO

The Gateway LEGO® User Group (GtwLUG) is going to be at the Worlds Greatest Hobby Show here in downtown Saint Louis, MO at the Americas Center from 10:00am to 8:00pm on the 8th and 10:00am to 5:00pm on the 9th of January. The show features vendors (...) (20 years ago, 17-Dec-04, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.events, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.mo, FTX)

  Re: Grade Crossing Signal Thingy...

(...) Check the previous posts on (URL) the motorized cows. These use optical sensors to trigger cow head moooovement...I'm sure they could activate a level crossing using the same RCX optical detection scheme. -Rob A. (20 years ago, 17-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact