 Trains / 22802
Re: Steam going out of .trains?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:02:47 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Riley wrote:
Hi All,

Though I've only been posting in .trains for about a year or so, in that time it
seems to me that traffic in this group has dropped off somewhat.
Now, I know that numbers alone don't paint the whole picture, but I'm curious as
to the reasons for the decline.  Is it a case of "Been there, done that"?  Lego
not creating enough interesting train products?  People spending more time with
their LTCs than online?

Any theories?

Mark

BTW, The robotics groups seem to be in slump too, but that can easily be
explained by the relatively few robotics products Lego has introduced lately.

I think the robotics discussions are often a bit deep, especially about software
details.  Pneumatics are alive and well!

Like you, I've not posted much here for long, just 12 postings last year.  When
I had just 15 minutes a day online before work, it was barely enough time to
read the local BBS, and even on a good day I hadn't time to post more than once
to Lugnet.  Now that I have broadband at home, I can post pictures and discuss
things more easily.  I think I'm part of a committed core of Lego trainheads and
I value the international discussion.

There are a few reasons why I'll be posting more here in future:
1. I've just acquired some BBB wheels for new models.
2. I'm hoping to build some American trains rather than just British ones.  I'll
be doing research next weekend at a model train show in Derby, UK.  One hall
will be full of American trains.
3. I'll most likely be modifying some track parts in the next year, following
others' suggestions.

When I have more building time I hope to push out the limits on some of these
models.  Then there'll be lots to discuss! :-)

Mark