 Trains / 22767
22766  |  22768
Subject:
Simple RC Throttle for LDCC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 05:32:53 GMT

Having recently acquired the 8376 Hot Flame RC Car...

    8376 Hot Flame
244 elements, 0 figures, US$80, 2003
LEGO > Racers > {RC}

...it didn’t take too long before I got to thinking about how this bit of gadgetry might be useful in the train environment. :-)

So, here’s the idea:

Yep, that’s a micromotor driving an RCX rotation sensor. The rotation sensor is hooked to the RCX running LDCC (which has been configured to use the rotation sensor as a throttle). The micromotor is hooked to the RC receiver’s motor output. The whole thing looks like this:

Apart from being a bit noisy when changing the locomotive speed, it actually works surprisingly well. To get the throttle to respond faster, I configured LDCC to use 16 steps (or one full turn) of the rotation sensor for full throttle (instead of the default 32 steps).

The next thing to do is hook a couple of touch sensors to the left/right steering output so that additional functions like emergency stop and the loco headlight can be controlled with the RC remote’s steering lever.

And after that, with some modification to the LDCC firmware, it should be possible eliminate the micromotor and rotation sensor and go “solid state” by hooking the RC receiver’s output to a sensor port using some creative combination of lamp bricks and touch sensors to condition the signal coming from the RC receiver.

BTW, I just posted about a great clearance on the 8376 here.

Cheers,

Mark