 Trains / 22063
22062  |  22064
Subject:
New MOC - DB BR39 Mikado 2-8-2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:05:29 GMT

I finally got some time over Christmas to put some bricks together, something
I've been meaning to do since I saw some of Ben Beneke's fabulous creations
about 2 years ago.

I'm fortunate that my old Lego collection contains the large red wheels from
7750 (although sadly not the whole set, I ordered them from the spares service
in an inspired moment as a 10 year old!). I've been looking around for a
suitable prototype for a while now and the type 39 fits the bill perfectly. It
was a high speed locomotive used on both heavy freight and passenger in Germany.
A german loco was really the only option given the colour of the wheels
particularly as I wanted to use all 4 sets.

The model took around 2 days to build and I'm fairly pleased with the outcome,
although there's bits I'll probably modify in the future, particularly the front
end. Most pleasing is the 8 drivers being "fixed", the centre pair being able to
move laterally without destroying the valve gear. It took a lot of effort to get
the chassis to go through s-bends, but the end result is most pleasing. Having
the drivers fixed means the locomotive swings through corners much better than a
pivoted design like the one in 7777 - at least to my eye.

The cab is fully detailed, which you can't really make out from the pictures
unfortunately, and includes water gauges, pressure gauges, regulator, brake,
damper, blower, water valves and cut off! Even the firebox doors open, so the
minifig can put coal on to the grate (which slides out and would let the ash out
of the bottom of the loco if only lego ash wasn't 1x1x1!).

Anyway, please have a look and let me know what you think. The link is

Now all I need to do is build about 8 coaches and I'm in business!

Andy