 Trains / 21973
Re: A TrainHead is born . . . and he has a few questions!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 2003 02:18:27 GMT

1.  The stickers that go on the modules on the underside of the cars between
the wheels have a nasty habit of peeling back where the piece curves.  I
didn't wash these pieces, only using a dry towel to remove any finger oil or
other residue.  Was this a problem for others?  What's the best solution?

It hasn't been a problem for me- I do have some stickers that don't stick very
well, and I think the question has been asked elsewhere on LUGNET- perhaps do a
search for it.

2.  I noticed that the sticker sheet for the Super Chief comes with two sets
of numbers.  I'm assuming these are provided if you have more than one
engine, so I have one that's #301 and the other is #27.  Is that correct?

Sort of.  Santa Fe used numbers & letters at the start to ID F type locos.  This
was to avoid union rules that said that each loco required a crew.  So, the F
units which were drawbared together were for example 301 F, 301 B, 301 C  (ABB
formation).  At some point, this changed.  There has been a relatively
difinitive bit of work done on this- either Extra 2200 South or Model Railroader
would have exact details as to when the numbering changed.  (and the above is
from memory, so it might not be correct)

3.  The sticker sheets for the cars come with six sets of numbers, yet if
you build all the different versions from each Set that's only five cars, so
the leftover number set is for your own MOC car?

Either for a extra car or a MOC.  Nothing stopping you from creating your own
numbering scheme.

4.  I noticed that the 1x2x2 thin-wall window panes on the backs of the
Super Chiefs are trans-clear, while the ones on all the passenger cars are
trans-light blue.  Is this an error or is there meaning to it?

The F units were released first.  There were some other parts which in the
original batch were the wrong colour (the limited edition version).  I'd guess
that for production reasons the colour changed.  Not like it is really
noticeable.

5.  I love having two engines and five passenger cars.  Are there any other
types of cars that Lego currently produces that would be a part of this
train, or should I buy another one of the Sets and make my own?

There are no other cars that go with the Santa Fe.  I'd suggest getting another
coach & doing either the instruction thing or a MOC from it.  This gives you a
maching underframe & ends to the rest of the train, as well as gray wheelsets &
couplers.  Personally, I like the convertable day coach, so I have 2 in my
train, as well as a B unit.

6.  I'd like to put motors in both the engines but I recall hearing that
this can be a problem because the engines may not run at exactly the same
pace?  My layout will have no inclines.  I just want both headlights to be
lit.  I just LOVE little lights!

2 motors should be fine.  The wheelsets from the Santa Fe's are high drag.  Take
a look at previous .trains posts for how to modify them to reduce the friction,
if the idea of cutting at your lego bricks doesn't cause you a heart attack.  I
wouldn't put more than 2 motors onto a lego transformer, because there is
little/no benifit to doing so.  Lights are great in trains, even if I don't have
any in trains at present.  I prefered the old 4.5V lights, since they are easier
to power & hide than the 9V lights, as well as having a lot more flexable
wiring.

David Simmons
(who's now out shopping for track!)

- which you will only find at S@H.  Don't buy any new curved track- ask here or
get it from BrickLink.  No point paying full price for something that many of us
practically give away.

James Powell