 Trains / 21946
Re: BBB wheels + availability?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 12:43:48 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Teunis Davey wrote:
Would it be good to just have a hole in the middle of the wheel to put a 2*4
modified plate with technic clips?(like the modified plates that hold the wheels
on the Lego soccer buses).Or was it a technic axel for a reason ? Chain drive?

I'm eager for mine to arrive, too!

I think the axle fitting is important.  If you want to add coupling rods between
wheels, you MUST have opposite wheels turning together on an axle, you MUST have
at least two pairs of wheels like this, and you MUST have the connecting rods on
either side 90° (not 180°) apart (called 'quartering').  Anything else will
drift out of line and lock up.

The only thing you can do with separate free wheels is a single rod from one
wheel to a cylinder somewhere on the body of the engine.

Jason R

Has anyone worked out how to get the push rods to work perfectly ??

On these combo's  ,4 4 0 ,  4 6 2 , etc  ??

I've had a look ,at a real steam train, at a local park. And I found that the
push rods are in the same position, on both sides. But ,in my lego versions they
work better 90D apart. Is this what the counter balance on the wheels fixes in
real life ? Or is just the downward weight on the wheels?

I am using flex rod cables, as push rods .I have also put a 1*1 round plate on
the end of the technic half pin to space the rod out from the lip on the edge of
the wheel.The connecting rod is going to the middle wheel.Which also moves
sideways.It's a 4 6 2.Trying to keep it all under 9 wide. Should I add a weight
brick to the top of the axels ?

To Ben, could you please make some push rods for these wheels ,like the 12v ones
? What changes were the new wheels going to have ? I don't want to turn any of
these Beta wheels into blind drivers ,just yet. And I don't have a lathe, to do
it any way.

Thanks, Teunis.