 Trains / 21793
Re: Union Pacific Trademark Battle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 17:57:51 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Kenny Paul wrote:
I read in the San Fransisco Chronicle this morning that UP is planning on
charging for the use of their logo, INCLUDING any fallen flags for lines that UP
has taken over.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/12/07/BUGJ73H8FO1.DTL&type=business

FWIIW.
Regards, Kenny Paul

Wow.

Dunno if this is more for o.t-d, but here's something--

If a company doesn't protect the trademarks related to their particular company
right from day 1, and many years have passed, doesn't history show that they
give up said trademarks--

I mean, Kleenex, Asprin--I just found out that Motel was a trademark for one
particular chain company at one time--But now, common everyday parlance, and the
companies that owned these names basically forfeited their 'rights' to them.

So can these companies (if still in existence, like the Kleenex company) today
say, "Hey, we want our name back!"  I can't see how a company, after
disregarding 'trademark infringements' since the company was founded, can all of
a sudden say "Hey!  You need to pay for using our trademark!"

Still, Union Pacific is a unique 'brand name'--I don't say to my nephews when
VIA goes running past the crossing, "Hey, there goes that Union Pacific!"

The LEGO Company, which presumably we all love and appreciate here, has actively
pursued their trademark protection, and basically any other element relating to
their product, since the beginning--I got my hands slapped a long time ago by
TLC's legal dept for a 'trademark violation'.

Eh, it lies in the purview of the lawyers.  (though, if I were helping with the
case, I'd look into how these other companies 'lost the rights to their
trademarks')

Dave K