 Trains / 21180
Re: New: TEE Observation Car for 7740/DB103 Passenger Train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 20:07:01 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Teunis Davey wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote:
   I’ve tried to make a likeness of a TEE (Trans European Express?) observation car to complement the 7740 passenger train set pulled by a likeness of the German DB103 (my version 2) electric locomotive.

The observation car uses 1/4-circle curved-top “Paradisia” trans-clear window wall “corners”. (wheh! you’ll know what I mean when you see them.) I used four of these elements on their sides and in oposite directions to make the observation window covering.

Personally, I think this observation car looks a little dispropotionate, but I like the effect of the “bubble dome”, so I think I’ll keep it.

See version 2 (slight cosmetic change) of the DB103 and the new Observation

   Car

   To James Mathis,

After buying some train stickers on Ebay, with Panoramawagen included . I have wanted to build a 7740 Dome car of my own . So I went to have a look at your 7740 Dome car on Brickshelf, for inspiration. But I can’t view the pictures of your 7740 dome car.

   Do you have some good pictures of this carrage in red & yellow (tan/yellow).Or could you direct me to your Lego version.

Teunis,

Thanks for your interest in building a TEE dome car. I hope you have a good build.

I’ve just uploaded old pics and an MLCad file for my old version TEE dome car. Perhaps you can improve upon this old design? I’m not exactly happy with it-- then nor now.

   I’m also collecting parts to build your English APT .But hope to make your red line in orange.

An orange line would definitely look nice. That APT turns into quite a long train set at 8 wagons. If I were to run it again, I think I’d abandone the tilting mechansim, for it puts quite a strain on the motors. Oh, if you do build the APT with tilting mechanics: I have since read that the two central motor (power) units did *NOT* tilt on the real APT. Makes sense since the tilt is emplemented for passengr comfort (and to keep tea cups on the tables)-- no passengers in the engine compartments. Removing the tilt mechanicism from only the two motor units should improve running, too. Maybe it would be enough of an improvement to push/pull the set more reliably while still keeping the tilt mechanism in the passenger wagons and the yellow-nose driving trailers?

   I have also built a version of your Yellow Dutch engine with inverse mounted windows, but in red. From spare parts, after building a Santa fe B unit.

Wow. Cool. That’s quite a nice bonus of the extras from the Santa Fe locomotive.

later,

James Mathis