 Trains / 20961
Re: Worn out Train wheels?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.lucny
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 02:07:56 GMT

"Kevin Salm" wrote:

7.  At BrickFest, our club had a small local loop in the huge train • layout.  It
was loaded with curves such that no matter how much pulling power I could • not
run a train with more than 6 cars for more than a few minutes at a time • before
problems occured.
8.  I ran one short train (one loco with 2 motors pulling 6 wagons) on the • huge,
master loop track at BrickFest and after about a dozen trips around, I • stopped
the train because I noticed something not right.  What I found were • several
wheelsets that made noise and some even had black sticky goo on the • wheels.  I
determined that due to excessive friction, the wheels got so hot that the • sticky
goo was actually melted plastic from the wheels and/or the wheel bricks.

Being something of a newbie to trains, all of my wheel sets are the new
Super Friction Specials (nice phrase, that :-).  After making the mods to
get them rolling smoothly, the only place that seems to exhibit wearing is
the "needle bearing" on each end of the axle.  I'm wondering if the
needle bearings on your wheel sets eroded to the point where the
metal axle started contacting the six points indicated in this photo:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/markril/Trains/Misc/wearpoints.jpg

That alone would cause increased friction.  But, if these eroded
enough and created a deep groove, then this would allow the wheels
to ride higher and higher until the edge of the wheels eventually came
into contact with the frame.

So, I'm wondering if your wheel sets have a groove in the
spots indicated?

Mark