 Trains / 20964
Re: Worn out Train wheels?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.lucny
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:43:52 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Riley wrote:
[snip]

Hi Mark,

I think you gave a very clear description about the wheel sets working
principle.

Being something of a newbie to trains, all of my wheel sets are the new
Super Friction Specials (nice phrase, that :-).  After making the mods to
get them rolling smoothly, the only place that seems to exhibit wearing is
the "needle bearing" on each end of the axle.

That is right. For early nineties wheel blocks these where the only spots with
friction as well (even without any modifications).

I'm wondering if the
needle bearings on your wheel sets eroded to the point where the
metal axle started contacting the six points indicated in this photo:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/markril/Trains/Misc/wearpoints.jpg

Some of my oldest wheel block show in fact wear at these points.

That alone would cause increased friction.  But, if these eroded
enough and created a deep groove, then this would allow the wheels
to ride higher and higher until the edge of the wheels eventually came
into contact with the frame.

I have seen this only one time so far: my friend Torsten used to run a train as
eye catcher in a pharmacy window display. After several months of permanent
running (in basically standard 6-wide sets) the wheels where worn down like
that.

Just before we found out what exactely made the "Super Friction Specials" so
special, Klaas Meijaard came up with this solution for reduced friction:
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=18149 (**)

I am still of the opinion that cuttiong away a part of the frame is the "right"
solution to our problems, but the way Klaas did it, has one big advantage:
These wheel blocks should even last under highest loads. They might have some
increased running resistance against "good" or "repaired" wheel sets, but for
heavy 8-wides these might offer much longer operational reliability. This
solution should work even much better with some lubrication. I would use a
none-oil lubricant on molybdenum sulfide base. (Tested on some technic gear
wheels: no more wear after the use of this lubrication).

Leg Godt!

Ben

(**) Over ten month ago, since Afols found out about the reason why these wheel
blocks have problems. And the problem still seems not to been fixed by TLC.
:-(