 Trains / 20260
Re: 7-wide mania continued......
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 19:35:44 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:
Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:

The new
waggons do all have a roof made from shovel parts as suggested by James
Mathis in this posting (and it took a few week to collect these):
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=19728

Looks great, Ben!  Nice how you constructed an alternate attachment method for
the shovels. Looks like you achieved a slight overhanging lip at the edge of the
shovels beyond the sidewall of the car.

Hi James,

that is right: the shovels have an overhanging of a quarter of the height of an
plate which is in metric system 1/4 x 3.2 mm = 0.8 mm per each waggon side.

This is a very useful side effect, because by doing so I can put plates directly
under the shovels till the outer edges, what you can't do with your method with
zero overhanging. The studs of the outer plates would then collide with the
shovel part. In result you would be forced to use tiles which is quite difficult
to do in colour green...

Nothing like real bricks to showcase the design, style, and physical "feel" of a
construction.  I think Ben's detailing and car design outperforms my CAD version
prototype design study.

Wonderful work, Ben.

Thanks for your kind words - but still: without your great idea none of these
waggons would have been built at all....

Leg Godt!

Ben