 Trains / 20259
20258  |  20260
Subject:
Modified (and improved) "Challenger" model
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 18:12:12 GMT

I first posted this a while ago:  http://www.gmltc.org/challenger.html

Over the last several weeks, I've come up with some improvements.  I redesigned
the 'guide' mechanism, instead of using the small train wheels I'm using cut
(gasp!) pieces of Technic flex tubing.  This allows the train to go through
switch tracks, where before it was limited to just straights and curves.  I also
had to redesign the front 'pilot' truck, to get the extra height needed to clear
the switches.  It's now built half right-side-up and half upside-down.  I also
had to add one more stud of space between the two sets of drive wheels, this
means I've got an extra stud of gap between the nose of the boiler/smokebox and
the headlight, I might have to increase the length of the boiler one stud to
fill that gap better.

Brickshelf folder (currently waiting for moderation):

Two (of the four) deep link teaser pics:

And yes, I said "cut" - the GMLTC tries to never cut or modify Lego pieces in
any way, but for some reason we've all agreed that flex tubing is fair game for
cutting.  We use it in just about everything we build...

I also just posted two new 'town' pictures.  The first is a new block of three
buildings I built a couple of months ago.  A bar with a band playing, a movie
theater and a generic building:
Can you count all the different colors of bricks I used in the three buildings?
I think it is 25 or 26.  It got to the point where I was thinking "how can I put
another color in here?"  <grin>  The theater uses three sets of the fibre-optic
lights in the marquee, it looks pretty nice.  The words on the marquee are
"www.brickfilms.com".  ;-)

We've changed the way we set up our town.  We've turned most of the buildings 90
degrees, so they face the tracks instead of facing each other.  It adds a nice
look to the layout, but we now need to improve the look of the 'parkway' running
between the buildings and the train tracks:
Future plans include rebuilding the street behind the front buildings to have a
trolly loop, and perhaps also a raise monorail.

As always, comments are welcome and appreciated!

JohnG, GMLTC