 Trains / 2021
Re: Remote switching points
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:12:09 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christian Holtje writes:
Has anyone tried to automate a point by directly laying a worm (screw)
gear on the grey plastic (removing the yellow switch handle)?  It seems
that that'd work well.

I suppose that you'd have to worry about stopping, but if they are
switched via a manual switch remotely, just don't grind the legos!

*snip*

Christian -

You're on the right track (pun) here...my best results for a remotely automated
point were to implement a system similar to what you described.  I used a 1x6?
black technic linking plate to do this - that's the kind with rounded ends and
the stud sized holes at each end:
  ______________________
/                      \
| []  O   O   O   O  []  |
\______________________/

(wow - that's kinda bad!)

Anyway, slip one end over the sliding grey pip that the yellow togle switch
piece normally forces back and forth in the switch housing, and attach a rack
gear over the top of the last four studs.  Worm gears stink in this
application, so I used the small 8? tooth gear directly attached to the output
axle of the new-style technic internally geared motor.  This gives a direct
drive rack and pinion effect that can't grind the LEGO pieces, and the motor
stalls without consequence if you try and overtourque it.  Put a solid housing
around this whole unit, and that'll keep any motor torque from pulling apart
your rack system.  I use an RCX to control mine, since that can send an
automated pulse to the motor, and it works like a charm.

Maybe I could post some pics if there's interest or further questions?

Ed