 Trains / 20156
Re: Compatibility of Duplo Intelli-trains with older Duplo trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.duplo
Date:
Mon, 26 May 2003 18:28:29 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Kerry Raymond writes:
I am looking at buying some of the new Intelli-trains for my nephe. To what
extent are the new Intelli-trains compatible with the older Duplo trains?

Can they use the same track? Can the new "smart elements" be placed on old
track? Obviously I assume the old trains won't understand the "smart"
elements, but apart from that is there any other incompatibilities?

Yes, same track. But I think it is a different color, nothing major.

Also, I read that there are "smart elements" but what functions exactly do
they control and which sets control which smart elements?

The way the sound elements interact with the train depends on which driver
you have driving the train. The instructions tell you exactly what the
differences are. Here is an example:

For the 'toot brick' (the one with the horn on it).

No driver:
- The train crosses at normal speed.
- It makes a beep-beep sound.

Red Driver:
- The train crosses the brick, speed is reduced for approx. 3 seconds then
returns to normal speed.
- It makea one toot and low driving sound for approx. 3 seconds.

Yellow Driver:
- After the brick the train drives at high speed for approx 3 seconds, then
returns to normal speed.
- It makes three toot sounds.

Basically for every action (including starting and stoping the train) it
will do something different depending on who is driving or if nobody is driving.

Each set comes with different smart bricks. They are listed on the box of
what they are. And each smart brick does a different action, and that is
dictated by the color of the brick as well as the decoration on it. The
bricks you get go with the set you are buying. Like the cago set comes with
a cargo brick, this will basicaly stop the train while you put the cargo on
the train.

They are really great sets. We have most of them and the kids love playing
with the train very often.

Hope this helps!
Mark P
http://www.landofbricks.com