 Trains / 20157
Re: Train Switch Modification on Ebay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 26 May 2003 18:37:38 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Will Chapman writes:
I just saw this on Ebay.  Has anyone else done this?   It looks like a
professionally done job.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3131981134&category=19010

---Will

I've seen a few others do this modification, but to my knowledge, I was the
first to do this type of modification back in mid 98' on my LEGO switching
layout. In addition, I think I'm the first one to do this modification
without actually soldering the rails together. After some trail and error I
found that if you remove the rails were the joint is before cutting, you can
cut the rails to length and reattach them after the modification and they'll
still conduct electricity due to the way LEGO designed the switches. Thanks
to Ben Fleskes for the idea to use plastic and MEK to hold LEGO tracks
together, however, I use two different sizes of plastic strips in two layers
for additional strength. I'd like to think I've done a professional job on
them, but I'll feel better once an outside source uses and reviews them.

If these sell I will be producing more of them. Ideally I'd like to offer
these on a continous basis, with possible bulk discounts to LTC clubs and
the like. I'm also currently testing some 4 stud long straights that I made.

Jeff Christner