 Trains / 1979
Re: Eliminate high-speed derailments forever! (and possibly void your warranty)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 18:37:40 GMT

Actually, lowering the voltage would lower the current draw too with a
constant
load.  Of course a motor is anything but a linear load, and it does tend
to draw more
current at slower rpm.  In any case, you're not going to break it, since
the 9v
train controller is basically a big potentiometer, (or more likely a
rheostat), delivering
less voltage closer to the center detent.

KL

Tom McDonald wrote:

In lugnet.trains, John R. Clark writes:
<snipped interesting idea>

So the obvious question is: Am I damaging/shortening the life of my • transformer
by feeding 1.5 volts less than it expects into it?

The transformer in the wall socket adapter probably won't be bothered too
terribly, as it's only a 17% reduction in voltage. The motors don't try and
suck additional current to make up for it. But a 17% raise in voltage however
is *not* recommended, if anyone is thinking of trying it. You could overheat
or fry it.

And another question that someone with more electronics knowledge than I have
can answer: The universal converter has removable male jacks, which are
designed
to fit many different devices. They are also reversible, which means that the
tip can be either positive or negative. So does it matter which way it goes
into
the transformer?

In this question, by stating "transformer", I assume you mean speed
controller, where it absolutely does matter by that point. The wall socket
adapter itself has the rectification that converts AC into DC, and the step-
down transformer which converts the higher voltage to 9V or 7.5V.

It's okay for the speed controller to have approximate voltage to play with,
such as 7.5V in this case, but the polarity must always match. Why would you
need to switch polarity if the speed controller can make things go backwards?

Older adjustable voltage regulators (such as the LM317) require correct
polarity to function, and there could a couple in there or their equivalents.
Incorrect polarity could well do damage, but at the very least I expect the
LED not to work.

-Tom McD.
when replying, all natural spamcake contains no triglycerides!*
*spamcake has been known to cause tumors in laboratory technicians.