 Trains / 1982
Re: Eliminate high-speed derailments forever! (and possibly void your warranty)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 19:02:01 GMT

Ludo - -
Thanks for the great analysis of the LEGO speed control!
- Nick -

ludo soete wrote:
[snip]
I just opened a LEGO TRAIN SPEED REGULATOR and drawn a shematic of it.

The INPUT of the regulator may be an AC or a DC signal.
Even reversing the polarity (in case of a DC voltage) won't damage the
regulator.There's a full bridge rectifier on the printed cirquit board (pcb).

Lego put on the input of the regulator : 9 - 12V AC, this has to do
with the following things:

1)The voltage regulator is a LM317T (can deliver 1.5A output current)but is
mounted on a small aluminum heathsink, too small to obtain enoug cooling when
drawing 1.5A, so don't do that.

2)The LM317 won't blow up because he's internally protected against to high
tempertures.If he gets to hot,the output voltage drops.But the pcb's layers
are too thin to pull 1.5A out of the regulator.

3) When the input voltage is 12V AC, then the internal DC voltage is aprox.18V
(AC input voltage x 1.41 = DC output voltage) this means that, when the train
runs at full speed (output=9V DC) that there's a voltage of 9V DC OVER the
LM317. Let say that the motor uses .5A, then is the power dissipation
9V x .5A = 4.5Watt
If you run at half the speed (4.5V) then you will messure 18V - 4.5V = 13.5V
over the LM317.
recalculate the dissipation gives : 13.5V x .5A = 7.25 Watt.

As you can see is it verry important to keep the input voltage as low as
possible.So 9V AC is better than 12V AC

When you want to get a lower output voltage, then you have to open the
speed regulator,or the input voltage must be lower than 9V DC !!
The output voltage is normaly independent from the input voltage as you can
see in the formulla below.
The output voltage can be calculated with the followig formula:
Vout=1.25(1+(R2/R1))+Iadj(R2) -> info: data sheet National Semiconductor
where :
R1=200 ohm
R2=200,400,600,800,1000,1200 ohm (depending on the position of the speed knob)
Iadj(R2)= current throug R2.
For fast calculation omit +Iadj(R2),resulting in:
Vout=1.25(1+(R2/R1))
I've done a modification on it so that the maximum output voltage is aprox.
7.8V

If you want to do it too,open the speed regulator.
Remove the yellow speed knob.Keep the green LED to the bottom side.
you'll see on the left side of the 'circle swith' 8 solderpins going from top
to bottom (resistor array).
Count the pins from top to bottom.You'll end up by 8.
Short cirquit the pins '7' and '8' with a solder pad.
re-assamble the speed regulator.
Thats it !!!

With this action is the speed for step 5 and 6 (full speed)equal.

Good luck !!
regards,
Ludo