 Trains / 19756
Re: height standards... ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 19:26:37 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Thomas Burger writes:

Huh? I'm confused. I assume you mean for rolling stock? 6-wide or 8-wide
scale? Or do you mean clearance for overpasses?

here is a image that can best explain my question

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/GrapeApe/trains/height.jpg

Well, as someone who is "completely nuts" (about Lego trains, as well as
other things!) - build whatever looks good and runs well.

If it looks too short, add some height.  If it tips over in the corners or
hits something over the track, it's too tall!

Modelling real world trains in 'L-Gauge' is all about two words:  "Selective
compression".  Build the stuff that uniquely identifies what you're trying
to build, and gloss over the rest.

Here's an example, a locomotive I modelled on an SD-50:
If I really wanted to mimic the real thing, my version would have to be at
least 12 studs longer.  I just concentrated on getting the side vents in the
right spots, getting the windows to look right, getting somewhat decent
looking steps -- and then shortened it up so it can still go around those
pesky tight Lego corners.

Look at any of the train MOCs, you'll see the same thing.  We're not trying
to be *exact*, we're just trying to get the right "feel"...

JohnG, GMLTC