 Trains / 19194
Re: Wintershill Signal Works
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 08:04:06 GMT

Wonderfull models, but also great photos. Taking pictures outside and
using perspective to guive a real life look excellent, also good
definition.

Mark

"Stuart Jones" <stuart@swanmore.net> wrote in message
The gang at the Wintershill Signal Works have been busy again...

1-3. I used to love watching the signalman at my local station as a • kid, so
I've always wanted to build a proper gated level crossing, worked by a • large
gate wheel, just as I remember it. You can just see the end wall of • the
signal box (cabin) under construction, which houses the gate wheel, • and part
of the mechanism to the right.

4. Part of the roadway removed to show the drive, the opposite gates • are
driven via the flex link under the tracks. Gears are small toothed • technic
bushes, as normal gears are too large to fit under the roadway. You • can also
see the flex in tube linkage running from the crank to the signal.

5-7. New upper quadrant signals, worked by the lever in the signal box
behind. The signals are lit, showing a red or green aspect - turn the • lights
down, very
atmospheric...

8. Coal staithes, once seen in many British goods yards. My vote for • Lego's
most useful recent part pack: brown tiles

9-11. 3-plank (or 3-tile?) open wagon, with brake levers and • vacuum-brake
pipes fitted. Underframe view shows the vacuum cylinder and brake • shaft.
Will anyone ever see this? Who cares, I know it's there....

12. Rail wagon (British wagon code 'Salmon') ready to deliver more • rails.
The underframe design will be used on a passenger carriage.

Stuart