 Trains / 19193
19192  |  19194
Subject:
Lego Train Operating Weekend
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 06:56:16 GMT

Ah.  It is over.  2 walk on Ferry trips for me, 416 pieces of straight track,
20 or so DCC equipped motors, 8 Canadians= one loooong weekend.  A good time
was had by all- expect further posts as we come up with them  (not tonight!).

some quick notes:
-DCC worked well.  We had at a max, 6 trains running (3 each way).  Not due to
lack of motors/controllers, but due to lack of operators.
-Learning curve was steep.  Especially with the DCC controllers. (expect a fair
amount on this from me)
-not enough space between stations, however this is not a easy to solve
problem! (we had a 40x40 space or so...and could have done with at least 3-4x
as long and equal amount more straight track)
-from my point of view, it seemed like the free play time was the 'most fun'
time, with us each picking up a train as we saw fit, and running on a single
track mainline with 6 passing tracks.  There were some great head-on meets at
inappropriate places.
-actual scheduled operating needs a LOT of work to get it to be useable.  A
fast clock would be handy for this (and yes, I am aware that there is a fast
clock available in the Digitrax stuff...but we didn't use it)
-trackplan- depending on available track/switches, the track plan we used was a
bit simpleistic in places for good operation (requried that wayfreights clear
mainline when it was the only passing loop, ect).  A lot of that ties into
space and track limits though.  Even with 2x space, the layout was about the
best that could have been managed given the pool of track we had to draw on

More will follow in ~2 weeks (I fly away on Tues for a 10 days)

James