 Trains / 19023
Re: Progress with DCC and PC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 04:10:45 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Rob Hendrix writes:
Alright John, forgive me but I'm looking for the website named "DCC For
Dummies".  Well, its not REALLY named that, but I have no clue of what brand
to buy, what amperages of decoders to use, or how to get out the cheapest
(currently taking up collections from you fellow readers for my first
purchase - currently have $.03).

-Rob

OK- lets see if I can answer some of your questions:

As far as buying, there are 2 real choices- an expandable system
(Digitrax/Wangrove/CVP/Lentz) or a simple system (MRC comes to mind)

Amps of decoder: 1 Amp decoder is what I would suggest.  I've had fairly good
luck with DN121's (Digitrax), _as long as they are insulated from the motor_
(otherwise, $40 mistake...$25 for those of you who live in the USA)

As for the cheapest- none of them are particularly cheap.  Unfortunately, that
is the nature of the beast.  I don't know how much MRC stuff will run you, but
I have invested a large amount in Digitrax (~1000 USD or so)

James