 Trains / 18782
Re: 4-6-6-4 "Challenger" (in progress!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 23:32:26 GMT

John,

   Fabulous, I find it very interesting that after all this time that most of
us have been doing things backward so to speak. I've been keeping to myself
most of the time when it comes to the Large Steam train line because the last
two I did were always a good start but, I could never satisfy myself with the
wheel design. I think you have the correct solution. In turn makes the illusion
of using larger drive wheels by just turning the wheels 180 degrees Bravo. I
also think your use of tie-rods are very impressive. This almost makes me want
to go back and give my 4-8-8-4 another try. Once again Great Job... As in your
comment I too find that its hard to totally complete one of these big boys
without later going back and changing things. I stopped for a while on the
steamers to go back and dabble in the diesels. The nice thing is I will be able
to apply some new styles to the attempt of another Steamer. I think your wheel
solution hits on the head what I was having issues accomplishing. If all goes
well in the next few months I sure I will be satisfied thanks to your wheel
design.

Wayne

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach writes:
Just wanted to toss out a link to my current GMLTC project.  I'm working on
a model of the famous Union Pacific #3985 'Challenger' 4-6-6-4 steam engine.

It's huge (64 studs long for the locomotive itself), but it handles the
curves on Lego track quite nicely.  I came up with what I think is a new way
to keep it on the tracks, using the small train wheels mounted horizontally
instead of vertically.  (Or vertically instead of horizontally -- whatever!
It's not the "normal" way to run the small train wheels....  <grin> )

Check out the images and text at http://www.gmltc.org/Challenger.html

And as is usual here in .trains, comments or questions are welcome!

JohnG, GMLTC