 Trains / 18739
Re: The Rock (for my large church)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 02:49:40 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Cary Clark writes:
In lugnet.town, Paul Janssen writes:
I've almost finished the rock to put my church on. It has 2 train tunnels,
and a monorail tunnel. .... It is build into 2 sections for transportation.

Paul, nice work. I'm working on the first module for the NCLTC layout, and
I'd love to know more about how you plan to move it, assemble it, and handle
any on-site disasters like derailments inside the tunnels.

I don't expect any derailments, since the only track that is going through
is straight (2 tracks, each 12 sections long). The tunnel on the "waterfall"
side is a "dummy" for now. Anyway, the large black wall contains a section
that can be taken out, close to the middle. Form there, all train track is
accessible. The monorail is harder to reach, the middle section of the
church needs to come off to access the lower bend.

First, is it two huge pieces or does it disassemble further than that? Each
half appears to be built on 2x2 large gray plates and looks monolithic. How
do you reconnect the track after transporting the parts?

It are 2 huge pieces (96x96). It does not come further apart. I'm buidling 2
transportation crates. I've cut 3/4 inch plywood to 96x96 studs, and will
anil some 4 inch boards to three of teh sides. This allows tilting of the
sections to pass through a standard 30" door (I hope...).Connecting the
track is done via the opening, when put next to each other, a gentrly puch,
while aligning the tracks with my hands, pops them together. The monorial
track is then also easily connected. When the church is not on top, you can
reach inside the entire rock from the top too, if needed.

Any idea how much the sections weigh?

No, but I expect is to be in the order of the largerst church section, which
is just over 40 lbs. he entire mountain with rock is well over 100 lbs. (how
many bricks that is, I don't know).

They look pretty heavy. When you
transport it, do you plan to pick it up from the baseplate, or have
something under that to prevent bricks above from popping off?

The wood will be supporting the base during tranport. I may actaully drill a
few holes in the baseplates to bolt it to the wood for transport.

Do the huge pieces connect to each other in any way? Technic pins or
something else?

No, the church on top slips in via sloped bricks, and keeps it all into
place. Other than that, the monorial and train track connect. I may further
use a few 1x2 grey bricks to connect, but does not seem neseccary.
The church is supported by (many) internal pillars, that are interconnected
for strength, and also to the walls. It seems pretty sturdy. I've rebuild
the church sections onto 3 bases of plate-brick-plate, using 100+ 16x6
plates, and 4x10 and 16x8 bricks. They fall into place without much problems.

My project, considerably less ambitious than yours, is built
on 2x4 large gray baseplates; each plate is standalone and plugs into its
neighbors. Further, each level, building up, lifts off as well. My
motivation is mostly so that I can fix mistakes without tearing the whole
thing apart. What's your approach?

Thanks
Cary

Thanks for your comments,