 Trains / 18738
Re: BR144 model , input wanted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 01:45:00 GMT

Reinhard \"Ben\" Beneke wrote:

Ok, I think the basic design is now done, after the nose got shortened. I
think your model still suffers under the lack of details. When the bogies will
be there and the pantographs as well, the model will definitely look much
better.

I know... the model isn't nearly finished. The roofline looks too
coarse, the flat spaces are too large, the front is too angular and the
center part is raised too much. I still need to get more feel for some
of the advanced techniques, such as f.i. used in the James Mathis models.

Two more detail suggestions:
- what about the Santa-Fe roofpiece? The rounded 2x3 might look more fitting
here?

Haven't yet got those in dark grey yet (no such parts in Köln today
either... *) but those might work, will definately try.

- I think you should make the frame under the engines body 8-wide from the
very front to the very end. Maybe as two plates height under the cabin and
just 1-plate under the nose. Is this frame dark grey in the prototype?

Played with it, made the nose a bit bulky IMHO. Might try again once
proper bogies have been constructed.
Frame color is most likely very dark grey, as was DB standard in those
days IIRC. Using the European Railways server images and some h0
catalogs as reference here. Maybe I should try digging up some RAL
colors. However, since black gives me a larger parts assortment to play
with, I think I'll stick to black for now. Will match better with the
train wheels.

I think _IF_ you try 12V wheels, then you would have to take the 7750 ones.
But that are not available in black. :-(
The normal black ones from the 12V line are definitely too small.

I used the 12v in some of the images because I dislike the outside of
the 9v wheelsets, with the springs and suspension. Thinking about John &
Ross Neal's system, where he simply takes out the axle and builds a new
frame. However if that'll work for an engine, not sure. Will need to
test. Using two of the default 9v LEGO motor blocks was giving me
headaches trying to get the buffers and magnet to "stay in line" (not
enough room for a nice swivel construction) Although... having looked at
how Fleischmann solved this with their coupling system (I've also got a
small h0 model railroad which I use for inspiration sometimes) might
have given me some new idea's. Will get back on this :)

If you need some input for panthos, try a search for 'Michael Schian's trains
at brickshelf. He did this one:

While it looks OK when it's seen full frontal, from the side it looks a
bit too coarse. I've got a few idea's I'm gonna try, involving the abuse
of some pneumatic tubing :)

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=266492 also looks quite
good, might also try something along those lines.

* Finally went to the LEGO store in Köln today and went totally nuts :D
Finally those greeny pieces as in Statue of Liberty, as well as some of
the new mint blue and orange! Hope they will set up more of these shops
soon, starting here in Holland ;)
--
Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/~javanree/
VanReeDotNet IT Solutions    | http://www.vanree.net