 Trains / 18165
Re: This is odd...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:10:04 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.trains, Harvey Henkelman writes:
In all fairness. the LEGO® train motor does not have that much inherent
tractive effort to begin with...hence the addition of rubber traction tires
on the wheels. The train motor was designed to pull only their assigned
train cars within a set (i.e. 4565, 4561 etc.) and the original target for
LEGO® trains (young children) usually play with trains but a short time
before it's back in the toy closet anyway. LEGO® (back in the 1960's and
1970's) did not anticipate adults taking on the hobby and building an
internet-connected network where ideas are shared freely.

Who did? ;-)

Prognosis: That LEGO® trains and LEGO® in general are really just
toys...albeit VERY ENJOYABLE.

As for your steam engines? Only so much weight can be added to a 9V motor
block before it becomes so heavy that it must fight to pull it's own weight
let alone any trailing load. This is why I build exculsively in 6 wide and
my locomotives are built as lightweight as possible (often the outer shells
only with a minifig stuck inside)

One thing you didn't suggest was that maybe the one motor is worn out.  Stefan,
did you pull a switch and see if the results were the same?

That only adds to my confusion.  The Porter has the old motor and my
Greenbrier has the brand new (3 days old) motor.  I did take out a battery
box which really wasn't needed, and it's a bit better, but I can't make the
engine much lighter.

The Santa Fe Super Chief is more an adult-orientated model, but a 9V motor
is hard pressed to pull a train of that weight and length. LEGO®, realizing
that adults ARE the majority of 9V train buyers...rushed the new light gray
wheel blocks 'through a third party'-into production resulting in inferior
quality wheelsets.

Harvey, this flat out is NOT true.  AFOLs comprise only a fraction of TLC's
market, train or otherwise (but I'd bet up to 10%).  This has been asserted
time and again by Brad Justus himself.

Yeah, Jake told us all that the changes were made to the wheelset without
TLC's knowledge

And now to give praise to LEGO Direct® for doing an outstanding job reviving
the true building bricks....pay no attention to that Bionicle and Galidor
behind the curtain!

Yes, LD is doing a fantastic job! <cough, dark red in bulk>

Don't forget Dk. Blue.  :^)

-John

-Stefan-