 Trains / 17600
Re: Continous operation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 13:11:15 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Andreas Stabno writes:
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
In lugnet.trains, Andreas Stabno writes: • [snip a lot]
I hear you saying that quality is not the same as it
used to be, although the parts will still put up with significant use over
half a year or so.  I may give my operation more rest time between runs, so
that it will only run for short times with a total of about 1 hour per day.

Andreas

My guess with the operational reliability of the 9V trains is a kind of more
or less linear wear characteristics(*). The wear is depending upon load and
time.

If you use a train of doubled weight it will last only half time.
And after a certain product of (operational-)time x load your wheel sets and
motors will be dead.

So if you run your motor only 1 hour per day (instead of 12 hours a day) it
will last 12 times longer.

If you plan to do a nearly permanent run in any public place, try to avoid
train-operation at least at those time when nobody is taking a look at the
train. Use for e.g. movements detectors to run the train when somebody is
walking near the layout. Or use a time relais to start the train for 2 minutes
after a button got pressed. Kids will love to have influence on the train
operation!

In case of Torstens train he made the experience that the employees inside the
pharmacy partly got (very) annoyed due to the sound of the train (when it run
for all the time!). So any minute of silence is welcome and kids in
front of the layout wait thrilled till the train starts again. So think about
a system of short time running and shutting down the running when nobody
really wants to see the train in action..

Kind Rergards,

Ben