 Trains / 17476
  Very funny bit of information on the guage of American Railroads (Not directly LEGO related)

OK this is not exactly on topic but it is very funny and is somehow relavent to Trains, Castle, and Space... Disclaimer: If you are offended buy a small 3 letter word with one "A" and two "S's" just stop reading now. Fair warning.... Does the (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space)

  Re: Very funny bit of information on the guage of American Railroads (Not directly LEGO related)

(...) <snip> I dare all of you to send this to your boss, without explanation! ;-) Jude XFUT .o-t.fun (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Very funny bit of information on the guage of American Railroads (Not directly LEGO related)

(...) **snip*** (URL) Dave! (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space)

  Re: Very funny bit of information on the guage of American Railroads (Not directly LEGO related)

(...) <snippage> This is a pretty cool story. Not entirely accurate, but cool. :) The basic claim, that rail guage is roughly the same as roman chariot spacing is essentially true, but the article (this version less than some I've seen) plays a (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space)

  Re: Very funny bit of information on the guage of American Railroads (Not directly LEGO related)

(...) I always find this story amusing. One, the Romans didn't have war chariots. Two, part of the purpose the Romans had in making paved roads was *not* to have ruts. :-) Okay, okay, they couldn't always use just the paved roads, and Roman supply (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space)

  Re: Very funny bit of information on the guage of American Railroads (Not directly LEGO related)

And to come full circle, the width between LEGO track is... the answer you've all been waiting for... two LEGO horses' asses! And the units used are aptly named; studs! SteveB PS OK it's really 6 studs center to center but it sounded good. (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space)

  Re: Very funny bit of information on the guage of American Railroads (Not directly LEGO related)

(...) To place this on topic, we would have to ask the question (1) of whether or not LEGO track guage can be determined by a pair of horses side by side? Actually, how close do people typically place LEGO horses in a MOC that is pulled by a team of (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space)

  Re: Very funny bit of information on the guage of American Railroads (Not directly LEGO related)

(...) Debunking or no, the point is that designs of roadways and railways have been influenced by the width of animal drawn vehicles. However, given the course of this "technological evolution", are we to next assume that Spiffcraft would follow (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space)

  Re: Very funny bit of information on the guage of American Railroads (Not directly LEGO related)

(...) Why don't you think the Romans had war chariots? Or do you mean they just didn't call them "war chariots" but something else. I'm pretty sure the Romans had a military chariot. As for the ruts in paved road, it can happen. I've seen ruts (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space)

  Re: Very funny bit of information on the guage of American Railroads (Not directly LEGO related)

(...) Yeah, but 6 studs is about right for a wagon drawn by two horses. See here in the instructions from the Western set Gold City Junction: (URL) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space)

  Re: Very funny bit of information on the guage of American Railroads (Not directly LEGO related)

(...) None that I am aware of, though I suppose it is possible that they used available ones as auxilliaries in the middle east or those of Briton allies. But Rome itself didn't use chariots. The terrain of Italy was not particularly conducive to (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space)

  Re: Very funny bit of information on the guage of American Railroads (Not directly LEGO related)

(...) Hmmm... I can confirm that there are indeed some ruts in *paved* roman roads, although I cannot confirm if these date from the Roman Era (like you say, there has been a continuous usage of some roman roads). What I can say is, in long (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space)

  Re: Very funny bit of information on the guage of American Railroads (Not directly LEGO related)

(...) I recall my visit to Pompeii, Italy, 10 years ago. The Romans there used stepping stones to cross streets from sidewalk to sidewalk, much like a zebra crossing type sidewalk today, but elevated. As I recall the stones were spaced so that (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space)

  Re: Very funny bit of information on the guage of American Railroads (Not directly LEGO related)

(...) When I drove a Renault LeCar for a while, I was very aware of ruts in the highways. It had a sufficiently narrower wheel spacing that it would ride either on the left or the right hand side of the lane. Every once in a while, it would lurch (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space)

  Re: Very funny bit of information on the guage of American Railroads (Not directly LEGO related)

(...) Actually it's five studs (40mm) center to center, since each rail is in the middle of the stud position. Jason J Railton (22 years ago, 29-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space)

  Re: Very funny bit of information on the guage of American Railroads (Not directly LEGO related)

(...) Another misconception. There are some old roman roads around, but largely only in areas where there is no heavy traffic, or ever has been - e.g. up to or inside preserved large houses, walled towns etc. What is used is the route. The Romans (...) (22 years ago, 29-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space)

  Re: Very funny bit of information on the guage of American Railroads (Not directly LEGO related)

(...) And remember that gauge is measured as the distance between the rails, not between the centres, so it's a few mm less than five studs. (22 years ago, 29-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space)