 Trains / 17492
Re: Very funny bit of information on the guage of American Railroads (Not directly LEGO related)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 23:40:33 GMT

Leonard wrote:

I always find this story amusing.  One, the Romans didn't have war chariots.
Two, part of the purpose the Romans had in making paved roads was *not* to
have ruts.  :-)

Why don't you think the Romans had war chariots?  Or do you mean they just
didn't call them "war chariots" but something else.  I'm pretty sure the Romans
had a military chariot.  As for the ruts in paved road, it can happen.  I've
seen ruts several inches deep in solid rock caused by the repetitive erosion
from wagon train wheels here in the US.

When I drove a Renault LeCar for a while, I was very aware of ruts in
the highways. It had a sufficiently narrower wheel spacing that it would
ride either on the left or the right hand side of the lane. Every once
in a while, it would lurch over to the other side...

Here in Portland Oregon, it's pretty clear concrete can get ruts. I've
never seen such bad ruts on a highway...

Frank