 Trains / 17499
Re: Very funny bit of information on the guage of American Railroads (Not directly LEGO related)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 16:33:36 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
Romans maintained their roads, though at some point I'm sure that broke
down.  I have not been to Europe, so I do not know the state of the old
Roman roads beyond that they are still often used due to their excellent
construction.

Another misconception.  There are some old roman roads around, but largely
only in areas where there is no heavy traffic, or ever has been - e.g. up to
or inside preserved large houses, walled towns etc.

What is used is the route.  The Romans built very straight roads, building
up embankments and bridges as they went along.  As such they saved modern
road builders a lot of effort in earth moving and foundations, so several
major roads around Europe are built over the top of the original Roman road.

There would have been little left of the original roads themselves - after
the Romans left, most would have been ripped up for the stone to use in
buildings or walls.

Jason J Railton