 Trains / 17161
Re: Waterspout for steamtrains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 17:07:56 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Frank Buiting writes:

I didn't know this way of taking water existed! I couldn't find pictures
online and my trainbooks don't mention this (then again, my books only
describe European trains...)

Google is your friend. Try a search with these keywords, about 1/2 of the
first page is relevant references

steam water track pan railroad

This is not a bad reference

http://community-2.webtv.net/M1aDRIVER/TheTrackPansat/

PRR and NYC (mad competitors on the NY-Chicago run) both used them to reduce
total running time for their crack passenger trains.

As I said these can only be effectively used on tangent (straight) track. I
think no grade is also good but I'm not sure about that part. (If there's
any grade at all, the water will flow down to the bottom end. You COULD
recirculate, but it is simpler not to deal with that, I would think...)

Michigan got its first track pans in 1901 on the Michigan Central (an NYC line)

see also this short explanation

http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/WaterStations/WaterStationMenu.htm

I also found this which is generally useful in decoding US/UK differences...
apparently some UK lines had track pans as well, just known as water troughs

http://www.trainweb.org/railwaytechnical/us-uk.html